Followers


Snow in Louisiana
Powered by Blogger.

Always in My Heart

My Sweet Twin Grandgirls

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
My passion is decorating with vintage and antique finds on a budget. There was a time when I wouldn't have dreamed of going into a goodwill. That day has passed. :) My second love is scrapbooking all those special family moments for posterity, and I recently set up my very own scrapbooking room. I have three beautiful children, two sons and a daughter as well as a sweet (albeit full blooded Yankee) daughter-in-law and two grandgirls. I also enjoy gardening, meeting new friends and relaxing on my patio in the evenings with a glass of fine wine. During the summer of 2001, I spent two glorious weeks at Kennedy Space Center. I've been somewhat of a space geek ever since....
The Background Fairy

My Favorite Blog

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Vintage Glassware


St. Paddy's Day is one of my favorite holidays.  The green oatmeal dishes from my mom's house are the perfect complement to my St. Paddy's Day mugs and placemats.  I call them "oatmeal" dishes because back in the 50's and 60's they came free in boxes of oatmeal.  A pretty novel concept, don't you think?  It's no wonder I ate so much oatmeal back in the old days.....  tee hee....


Here's a close-up of that gorgeous orchid I picked up at Lowe's a few weeks ago.  Another blossom
has opened since I took this shot.  Doesn't it make a lovely centerpiece?  It's quite the contrast to the bleak winter landscape outside that window, isn't it?  Those flower beds are about to receive 
a total and complete overhaul so stay tuned......


Here's a shot of some of those beautiful green oatmeal dishes....  Don't they look
right at home in that vintage cheese box?

The placemats came from Kohl's and were a steal at 40% off.  The adorable mugs with a sweet shamrock inside each rim were picked up at Ross' several weeks ago.  There were only two of them but I snapped them right up.... Can't have orphan mugs now, can we???  :(

The best thing about St. Paddy's Day is how it signals that SPRING is NEAR!!!!

Here's a peek at that sweet shamrock inside the rim of the mug.......

HAPPY ST. PADDY'S DAY!!!!!

Thank you, Susan, for hosting such awesome parties at Between Naps on the Porch....  Hop on over and pay Susan a visit, dahlin......

14 comments:

  1. Very sweet place settings. Will you be going to the parade? I'll be there on Hundred Oaks at my sisters house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about the oatmeal dishes. And for St. Patrick's Day!

    Some of those old glasses are called DEPRESSION GLASSES and I understood they were given away at gas stations. I have collected ruby red Depression Glass from antique shops over the years and use them often--always at Christmas. Our gas was $3.45 yesterday and no gifts came with them!

    Are your green glasses what are called Depression glass?
    \
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love those old glasses...love the emerald green color-perfect for St. Patrick's Day. I remember when dishes came in oatmeal...and they also came in a box of laundry soap called Duz. Your placemats and dishes are darling. Love the cups. I have two orphan ones with gardening tools on them..and love the way they fit my hand and mouth to drink coffee.

    I always buy live shamrocks for a few of my friends. My mother had a huge one this just flourished in her wash room..came "over" with my grandmother and was a bit different than the American shamrock we get here. xxoo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your St. Paddy's day dishes. I remember getting dishes in detergent boxes. Way for young housewives to get pretty dishes. Would love to find The green and ruby glass ware. I wish I had kept mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I scored those same placemats at Kohl's too! I hope I can do them justice, you have made them even more wonderful in your setting. Those green bowls are amazing. If I could get those in oatmeal, I would be the state winning oatmeal eater!

    ReplyDelete
  6. St Patrick's Day is one of my favorite holidays, too. It is such a happy and fun holiday. Love the mugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your placemats are so cute and the dishes make me happy! Have a nice St Pat's day. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love anything green...the oatmeal bowls are a beautiful shade of green.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your oatmeal dishes! What a charming table and the centerpiece is gorgeous!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm your newest follower. I love your placemats and all the St. Patty's things. Your mother oatmeal bowls are adorable and so sweet. I remember when I was a kid, my mother kept for us 3 kids all the pretty glasses with dainty flowers that came with marmolade inside it...I had one with ducks I loved! Hope you visit me, I'll be delighted.

    XOXO
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how fun to have coffee in a shamrock mug for St. Patrick's day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We must share the same taste as I, also, bought the placemats at Kohl's on sale. They are classic and I think we will enjoy using them for years to come. Your table is just so cute and festive....love all of your special touches. I am not certain, but I think your depression dishes are the "Sandwich" pattern. LOVE them. I have a clear punch bowl and cups in the same pattern and I was told that name. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty place setting for St. Patty's day.
    I love that green glassware, it is so gorgeous.
    and
    Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!!
    Blessings,
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those old glasses. I really like the emerald green color-perfect for St. Patrick's Day. I remember when dishes came in oatmeal...and they also came in a box of laundry soap called Duz.

    Personalized Glass Ornaments

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from y'all....